Skip to main content

Empty Arms Are Empty Arms

Yes, we chose this.  Yes, we were told starting out how long this process would be. Yes, we knew we would still be a family of 2 for Christmas this year. But, empty arms are still empty arms.

I wasn't told how bad I would ache. I wouldn't know looking at our beautiful tree how much would feel missing this year. Two ornaments hang in anticipation of a little to know they were thought about long before we had a face and a name. We don't know him...her...them? but we wait with heavy expectation for the Christmas when they delight in the lights, songs, food, family and friends and ultimately in Jesus.


Advent has had a deeper meaning this year. I understand the ache and the anticipation just a little clearer. The excitement of the celebration is fogged a bit with the "not yet." I've found myself prayerfully whispering, "Come, Lord Jesus, Come" and simultaneously "Bring them home, Lord Jesus, Soon." I ache with the groaning world for our savior to come and also for our family to grow.

We've received different reactions when we say that there is an ache this season but earlier this week an instagram "friend" reminded me that empty arms are still empty arms. She knows this same ache and just expressing the simple understanding freed me to ache with anticipation.Regardless of how we got to this point, our arms ache to hold our child/children close and tell them about Christmas. We ache to buy the presents we know they'll love, sing songs that bring big grins, to celebrate advent as a family.

Each week of advent the words have sunk a little deeper.

We have hope in Jesus who has come and also in His final triumphant return. We have hope in one day growing our family through adoption.

In knowing Jesus a little more, we have found deeper peace. In relinquishing control, I realize it is an illusion. In giving up and letting go, we have found more peace.

But coupled with this hope is joy. Joy that Christ was born, he has saved and he now reigns! We have joy in the wait and hope of our family growing. We will one day revel in the joy of littles laughing and signing along side us. We have joy as we walk deeper and deeper into a dependent relationship on Jesus who has come that we might have life!

We love more deeply. As we have walked farther into the adoption process I've come to love Jesus so much more. As we've studied attachment and bonding issues I've seen more clearly my heart that struggles to know the infinite love of my Father. I see my depravity and it draws me deeper to Him.

Merry Christmas to our sweet child/children! Christmas has arrived Uganda!! We pray, if you're born that you would know how deeply loved you are by your loving Father. We pray for your birth mom and dad that they would know Jesus' deep love this Christmas.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Got News

Nothing happens quickly in the adoption world, it's full of waiting and waiting. We were told we would hear after the 16th from our agency regarding their trip. But WE WERE EMAILED TODAY!! That was 4 days early. I made Chris read it out loud to me and I guarded my heart to hear the impact. I'm not ready to give up yet, I don't feel like God is closing this door....he read these words: "the trip was a positive one in many aspects as his meetings brought about much information" Information...that's not what I want to hear. My heart sank, positive in what way? Positive in that we got a lot of information, cleared things up, door are closing but at least we did things the right way? Please God NO!  Then he read: " One of the main ideas he experienced was seeing many officials and organizations desire REFORM , not CLOSURE of the guardianship/adoption process. "Our Agency" also feels that reform is necessary in order to move forward. From these...

We're Adopting!!!

It's true...we have a special someone thousands of miles away, who may or not be born yet, who is being intricately woven deep into our hearts! We have longed for this day for so long and we long even more to hold our child in our arms and call them ours! And, to be truthfully honest, we both are scared even to announce it. This has been our deep desire for years and now that it's here the heavy weight of reality hits. We are going to welcome a precious child into our home who we haven't known and loved since birth. We have the weighty honor of loving a child who comes from loss. My heart has ached for months now to bring him/her home but since we've been accepted by our agency, the ache hurts just a little more, just a little deeper. This is REALLY happening!! To bring you all up to speed, we have always wanted to adopt and felt called to adopt from Uganda. We have dreamed of this for so long but planned to adopt after having at least one biological child. Sill...

It's a....

Girl!!  1 sweet, little 2 year old!! We have named her "N" Margaret Negrete. We aren't sharing her first name privately because we've decided to keep her birth name. Margaret is my paternal grandma's name. She passed away last March. Margaret means "Pearl" and Uganda is known as the Pearl of Africa!! Here is what we already know about her: She was born only 25 day before we began our adoption process, she's been here all that time!! She was placed in the orphanage at 2 days old and has spent her entire life in the same orphanage. She has the chubbiest cheeks and sweet Buddha belly. She has great expressive eyebrows that may kill us when she's a teenager. (Chris: the first time I get those eyebrows, I'm just going to melt even though she'll be mad at me) She has awesome hair, you should see her 4 month picture. We have a newborn, 4month, around 1 year, 18month and recent 2 year old pictures. It's rare to be have so ma...