Skip to main content

How Did We Get Here?

I, Megan, have always wanted 2 things...to be a wife and a mom. The wife thing is amazing, I love every day of marriage. I knew I wanted to marry Chris after just a few months but not so patiently waited 5 1/2 years until Chris finished school. During that time we had plenty of time to pray and dream about our family.  Sometime early on I told him I desperately wanted to adopt. He was easily convinced but we were planning on adopting after we having biological kids.

Fast forward a few years I have spent 5 months in Uganda, he spent 5 months in Costa Rica, we both desperately love the unloved and marginalized, we are married and we want to start a family. Spring/Summer of 2013 I started researching all things babies and God began to move in my heart.

Without telling Chris I started praying God would clearly show us when and how we were supposed to have kids. I read parenting books and adoption books and God convinced me adoption was first. Late July 2013, I told Chris that I thought we should adopt first. I didn't know how hard it would be for him. He asked me for a few weeks to think, pray and figure everything out. I almost died in the anticipation and geared up for defending adoption. My sweet husband did just as he promised and then came to me with a vulnerable heart. He told me how he had always dreamed of watching my belly grow, and thinking about what our bio kids would look like. Suggesting adopting first changed all of that but God also changed his heart to wanting adoption first. We prayed for months before telling our families and finally let everyone in over the holidays!!

That is the story through our eyes although I am convinced God would have a different story. His story probably says something more like "This was my plan all along I just had to do some work to get them on board." We are so thankful for an omniscient God who knew this plan all along. We are so thankful for a caring God who held us in His hands and who is holding our child/children in his hands. While we already adore him/her even before meeting, we know He loves them far more. In the time we could not be their parents, He was intricately weaving their story for His glory and caring for them as only He can.

That's our journey so far (in a nutshell). We would love to talk with anyone more or if you have questions, leave a comment and we'll do a FAQ post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Biometrics Appointment Complete!

Another check on the checklist, another task marked off!! We submitted our I-600A less than 3 weeks ago. We were told to expect up to a 2 month wait for our biometrics (fingerprint) appointment. I prayed and prayed we would receive our appointment date by the end of this week. I came home Monday to 4 letters from USCIS with our appointment date set for noon on December 12. It was such a direct answer to prayer, exceeding our request for an already speedy process! Silly government people who assign random times during normal working hours. We both couldn't do it but we've heard from numerous other families that they will often take walk ins. So today, I left school early and we rushed over to the office...we got a little lost on the way, stupid iphone lead us to the completely wrong place! When we arrived we were told we had to speak with the immigration officer to see if he would allow us to walk in. Thankfully we saw the nicest immigration officer there is and he did

Adoption Guilt and Choosing Joy

We promise to remain transparent in our adoption including the good the bad and the ugly...today it's the ugly and vulnerable. Please see our struggling hearts as we trust God with all the adoption decisions.  Our current struggle is this sense of guilt over "choosing" a child. I've been struggling with guilt ever since our home visit. For days it consumed me, I hid it, wrestled with it and let it cloud the Truth we've been following since the beginning. I finally crawled out of my hole and asked Chris if he's feeling the same. His guilt isn't as overwhelming and frequent but he has felt it also. At our home visit we were asked what "kind" of child we were willing to adopt. Age and gender and number of kids was easy to answer but we had to go deeper. Would we accept a child with down syndrome? Missing limbs? Missing digits? Developmental or learning issues? Autism? Medical issues both large and small? HIV? We were honest in what we felt lik

It's a....

Girl!!  1 sweet, little 2 year old!! We have named her "N" Margaret Negrete. We aren't sharing her first name privately because we've decided to keep her birth name. Margaret is my paternal grandma's name. She passed away last March. Margaret means "Pearl" and Uganda is known as the Pearl of Africa!! Here is what we already know about her: She was born only 25 day before we began our adoption process, she's been here all that time!! She was placed in the orphanage at 2 days old and has spent her entire life in the same orphanage. She has the chubbiest cheeks and sweet Buddha belly. She has great expressive eyebrows that may kill us when she's a teenager. (Chris: the first time I get those eyebrows, I'm just going to melt even though she'll be mad at me) She has awesome hair, you should see her 4 month picture. We have a newborn, 4month, around 1 year, 18month and recent 2 year old pictures. It's rare to be have so ma